Monday, June 21, 2010

FDA requires cancer warning on TNF blockers (old news)

I've thought for a while that TNF blockers and other immunosuppressive drugs may actually be counterproductive in the long-run in treating Crohn's Disease and IBD. The point of TNF-alpha in the immune system is to promote the fight against tumors (TNF = tumor necrosis factor). What happens if you suppress that immune response? Your body may be missing tumors that it should be fighting. A recent article prompted me to take a look at the FDA warnings for TNF-alpha blockers. Apparently, the FDA started requiring cancer warnings on TNF blockers back in August of 2009 -- here's the FDA press release. I think dozens of cancer cases in children taking TNF-blockers prompted the FDA to add the box warning.

I definitely see the value of these drugs in the short-term to help get the inflammation under control, but long-term use doesn't seem like a solution. (Hence why I'm avoiding them!)

6 comments:

  1. What other treatments are out there for someone who has fistulizing Crohn's + colitis? If Immuran doesn't work, it's standard practice to transition to TNF-blockers, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ken,

    Yeah, that sounds right. I think TNF-blockers are last as they're so expensive. I think beyond that there aren't many other "official" treatments. I'm kind of biased, though, as I've done everything I can to stay off pharma drugs and have focused on alternative treatments - diet (SCD), supplements, etc. My thought is that pharma drugs are great for short-term uses where your body isn't able to control things itself and the side-effects are tolerable. But with long-term use, the side-effects can potentially cause other equally serious health issues as the FDA warning suggests. Prednisone and Entocort have worked for me in the past in the short-term to get things under control, but then I've quickly transitioned off of them. Easy for me to say, though, as I've never had fistulas! I think at that point I would just do whatever the doctor's would tell me to. Sorry you're dealing with that.

    If you're interested in other treatments, click through some of the "Treatment" categories I have under "Labels" on the right nav bar. I've come across different treatment alternatives.

    Hope this is all helpful!

    Best,
    BC

    ReplyDelete
  3. the links below will show you there are alternate effective treatments available:


    http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/hookworms-a-cheap-treatment-for-autoimmune-diseases/19486156/

    http://www.abc.net.au/rn/latenightlive/stories/2010/2883972.htm

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helminthic_therapy

    http://opensourcehelminththerapy.org/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good info OmegaGX. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ken,

    You should also check out this video from Duke. Nice overview and comments on many treatment options, both current "official" protocols and new ones that are in clinical trial.

    http://beatingcrohns.blogspot.com/2010/07/nice-overview-of-ibd-cd-and-uc-from.html

    Best,
    BC

    ReplyDelete
  6. TNF doesn't mean it "fights tumours". Read up a little more before you make statement like that.

    ReplyDelete