Sunday, November 13, 2011

Could Sucralose (Splenda) Be A Contributor?

Saw an interesting article that suggested that Splenda (sucralose) was potentially to blame for the rapid rise in IBD in Canada.

I've never historically eaten any foods with Splenda in them, but perhaps other artificial sweeteners have a similar effect on the gut.

An excerpt:

The theory that Splenda may be a culprit in the rise of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) appears to be a reasonable one, echoing the results from a 2008 study published in the Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, which discovered that Splenda:

  • Increases the pH level in your intestines, and
  • Reduces the amount of good bacteria in your intestines by 50 percent!

3 comments:

  1. I'm beginning to suspect Splenda in a recent flare -- had a diet soda, and quickly got sick. Am eliminating artificial sweeteners from my diet to see if that helps. Have you found anything else on this (research or anectdotes?). Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey JRD, Haven't seen anything else on this topic so far. If you come across anything, let me know. Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Crohn's Disease Survivor since 1998, I believe Splenda should definitely not be put into the human body.

    Here's why. First of all, man created it. It did not come from a vegetable in the garden or the fruit from the trees growing in the sun.

    This is NOT a regular healthy food source sugar. It is processed. Key word : Processed. This is what gets so many dear souls into trouble in their diets.

    There are much better sugar sources such as agave, organic evaporated cane juice (granulated) honey and some others.

    Since Crohn's Disease is such a serious thing to deal with, nothing like this should ever be part of anyones diet. Period.

    I should know. I ate all kinds of man-made sugars over the 50 years of my life and paid a price for it.

    However, because now I seriously look at everything that passes my lips before I eat it, I never have any problems.

    This is the true secret for commanding optimum health and enjoying it for many years.

    ReplyDelete