Friday, September 11, 2009

Is Soy Bad? Type 1 Diabetes and Leaky Gut

I came across a blog post about Type 1 Diabetes (again thanks to Google Alerts) where the author talks about why Soy is bad and how it may have contributed to the recent (i.e. last 30 - 40 years) growth in Type 1 Diabetes or other autoimmune disorders. I thought it was pretty interesting. The idea (regarding Type 1 Diabetes) is that soy damanges the gut mucosa, causing a leaky gut, thereby allowing large proteins (e.g. gluten) directly into the bloodstream where they cause an immune response around the body.

Now, I don't have Type 1 Diabetes so that's only partially interesting for me. But the process described in the post raises some interesting questions. One of the things mentioned was that there are diabetes related genes that have been found (and that have been present for decades), but recent environmental (or in this case diet) changes are making those genes get expressed more than they previously were. Could something similar be happening in Crohn's? I need to research leaky gut syndrome some more and perhaps it makes sense to continue broadening my research beyond Crohn's to other auto-immune disorders.

8 comments:

  1. More likely soy is a contributing factor to discomfort. While Crohn's has been known since well before the explosion of soy into the market (1930s), its incidence has been increasing although there's no huge spike- more like a long, slow climb.

    It would seem that the lectins in foods (primarily grains, but also soy and some other vegetable materials) are sensitizers to the human gut- and with Crohn's where the barrier between the contents of the intestines and the blood are already weakened, soy lectins and others are good candidates for causing problems.

    This is one reason why individual food sensitivities seem common to Crohn's- different individuals are sensitized to different food components over time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate the comment. I don't even know what lectins are. Just quickly looked them up on Wikipedia. I'll have to look into more detail around how lectins are involved in immune response against pathogens.

    Any advice on reading or research I should do?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, but I am not so sure, I have had crochs for over ten years and had two major operations. The following link may be a breakthrough, I hope for my daughters age, she is 6 years old bless her. What is interesting is that the soy bean (fermented) increases the bacterium that that is lacking in Crohns patients. The bacterium itself is an anti-inflametory and lacking this bacteria in the gut is probably the cause of crohns, it may well be that soy beans are indeed the answer to the crohns problem. Regards A very poorly crohns patient.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7679347.stm

    ReplyDelete
  4. My understanding is that unfermented soy poroducts are bad (really bab) and fermented soy is good (really good)
    so not tofu but tempeh and miso

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had crohns for seven years now and have just figured out that soy has been hurting me. Then I figured out soy is in everything now days. I avoided gluten but was curious as to why I could eat some breads and not others. Soy is in almost all breads now, but I found a local bakery that doesn't use it and their bread doesn't bother me. Gluten doesn't seem to be the problem. It was soy, which was in the milk, margarine, and many other products I was using to avoid dairy. I've been eating rice cereal with rice milk and doing better. This has been a real breakthrough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting. I wonder if some folks just have a sensitivity to soy that can act as an immune trigger? Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for providing such a valuable information and thanks for sharing this matter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my son have diabetes type I and every time he eat soy products including lecithin he suffer of 2 to 6 hours of high blood sugar independently of his sugar intake.
    We look every product for allergenic info... and every time we se that he have non explainable high sugar we can be sure there was something with soy in his food and certainly we look forward for the products pack and found almost every time that was a soy derivate ingredient.
    But also we suspect that soy protein hydrolisate (fermented soy?) don't have such effect.

    ReplyDelete