Saturday, September 5, 2009

Rifaximin (Xifaxan) Antibiotic Used to Treat Crohn's

Rifaximin
I came across a drug called Rifaximin (Xifaxan) via a post about IBD drugs in the pipeline in the About.com IBD blog.

The drug has been around and used for over 20 years to treat travelers' diarrhea. The drug is an antibiotic that works exclusively in the GI tract and does not enter the bloodstream. Here's the excerpt from the About.com blog that comments on its efficacy:

Rifaximin (Xifaxan) is currently being studied for use in treating severe Crohn’s disease. This drug, manufactured by Salix Pharmaceuticals, is an antibiotic currently approved for use in traveler’s diarrhea. Rifaximin is not absorbed into the bloodstream like other antibiotics, but instead affects the digestive tract directly. The theory is that intestinal bacteria may have a connection to the inflammation in Crohn’s disease, and an antibiotic may be effective if it kills these bacteria.
In a 16-week study of rifaximin, 78 percent of the patients with Crohn’s disease experienced an improvement in their disease, and 59 percent went into remission.
This drug is also being studied for use in treating pouchitis, a complication that can occur after j-pouch surgery. In one study, 11 patients for whom other therapies had failed received either 400 mg of rifaximin twice a day or 200 mg three times a day -- both groups showed improvement.
I investigated the efficacy of this drug a bit more in terms of its use for Crohn's. I came across a website where folks post their experiences with drugs. There were two pages that were relevant, one for primary treatment of Crohn's and the other (with more responses) regarding maintenance of Crohn's.

From reading through the reviews, it appears that the drug provides quick relief of symptoms, but that relief appears to be temporary if you stop taking the drug (and even if you continue taking it). One person, for instance, went on a regimen combining Xifaxan, probiotics, and Boswellia serrata. Here's an excerpt from that person's experience I thought was worth capturing:
Xifaxan for Crohn's I take this med for Crohn's disease, my doc is trying it although it isn't a "recognized" Crohn's drug yet. I take 2-200mg pills twice a day. It is very easy to take, coated tablets do not taste bad although they are on the larger side. I do not feel nauseous on them or anything, no side effects at all. Can be taken with or without food. After 24 hrs on this (two doses) I had my first solid "BM" in a very long time, it worked like a charm. It continued to work for 4-5 days when I started getting BMs more frequently and less solid. I realized that this is probably killing off the good bacteria so I started supplementing with a several-strain probiotic which has helped (I take the probiotics between the doses of Xifaxan, not at the same time which would be useless).

One huge drawback of this medicine is the cost. My insurance has told me they won't cover it, so I am in the process of appealing that and hopefully they will cover it because a one month's supply costs $1100.00. Nope I'm not kidding. There is no generic.

Overall I think it has done me some good and hopefully my results will continue to be positive. Looking forward to reading about other people's experiences with this drug.

**Update 6/26/05
I have continued taking this drug along with Boswellia serrata capsules, probiotics, and a multivitamin and as of 2 days ago I was officially in remission! I am very pleased with the results and would encourage others to try it. Please read my rating on boswellia too because I truly believe that boswellia had a big impact on my remission as well as this antibiotic. Also, my insurance did eventually cover the entire cost of this medicine but my dr had to send a letter before they would do it.
Another person combined use of the Xifaxan with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and probiotics and seemed to have positive results as well:
I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 2002. Since then I have tried just about everything to cure myself of this disease. Through my journey I have discovered that the Specific Carb Diet combined with a course of Xifaxan and high quality six strain probiotics (powder form) from customprobiotics.com has put me very close to remission. The first few days in Xifaxan caused severe painful bloating (die off of the bad bacteria) and then I was ok. You must stay way from bad carbs (ie. sugar, bread, cereal) and dairy if you want to get well.
The drug, combined with other regimens, certainly appears to have promising results and hence warrants further investigation. However, the use of antibiotics long-term is rather disconcerting to me. My assumption is that you need more than just a few strains of probiotics in your intestines to be really healthy (e.g. creation of Vitamin K). Can you really live your entire life taking antibiotics?

12 comments:

  1. For the high cost of Rifaximin that was noted: $1100 for a months supply, try www.canadadrugsonline.com.
    100 tabs of 200mg, about a 2 months supply (50 days) for $175.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lived with severe UC (pancolitis) since late 2005. Prior to that, I had left side colitis for 9 years. Once the disease progressed, it became very hard for me to achieve and maintain remssion. After adding Rifaxamin to my regimen, I have been almost syptom free for a couple of years. It began to work within a couple of days. It is an expensive drug. Fortunately, I was able to convnince our insurer to pay for it for the next two years. I hope research with this drug continues as I believe it can help those of us who live with IBD.
    Female, 49 years old

    ReplyDelete
  3. Xifaxan in combination with Lialda (a time release Asacol) sent my Crohn's into complete remission for a year until my insurer (BCBS) stopped paying for it. They turned down our prior authorization request, and we're waiting to hear about the appeal, but are not hopeful. There's no FDA approval of the drug for treatment of either UC or Crohn's. I took my last one yesterday.

    http://twitter.com/sophmom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try buying Rifaximin in Italy.
    For 84 tablets of 200mg, I paid about 45 US dollars
    Drugs are simply overpriced in the US

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous Jan 10, 2011

    Please tell me how or where to purchase rifaximin in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can by rifaximin from www.alldaychemist.com for $3/10 200mg pills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So 100 tabs would be $30 + $25 shipping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was with great delight that I read my own comments quoted in this article about Xifaxan! I am no longer on this medicine, having switched to LDN (low dose naltrexone). I am the person who was taking boswellia along with the Xifaxan. The Xifaxan did put me into remission and for about a year I needed no meds at all. Unfortunately I had a flare that would not respond to it so I was forced to look elsewhere. LDN put me into remission in 3 weeks. I have to purchase this medicine through Canada as my doctor will not prescribe it off label (but he would for Xifaxan??). A great resource is lowdosenaltrexone.org. Not a pretty website as it isn't a rich site, but definitely full of info. Overall I feel Xifaxan is a great drug that worked well for me for awhile but for major flares it may not work as well for you. ~M. Gagnon, MA USA

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've used Rifabutin combined with Biaxin or Zithromax to treat my Crohn's disease a couple of times before ever going on Remicade and it not only healed my intestines quite a bit but I didn't have to rush back and forth to the washroom after every meal as I used to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to hear. Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How I became a happy woman again
    With tears of joy and happiness i am giving out my testimony to all viewers on line, my problem with Stomach Cancer stage IB  has caused me many pains and sadness especially in my family.
    I was so afraid of loosing my life, I suffered the embarrassment of visiting
    therapy hundreds of times, unfortunately they did not find a definitive solution to my problem, I cried all day and night, do I have to live my life this way? I searched all true the internet for care, I was scammed by internet fraudsters times without numbers… until a friend of mine who stays in the UK introduced me to a friend of hers who was cured of the same disease, and she introduced me to Dr Itua who cured her from Breast Cancer by this email/WhatsApp +2348149277967,  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. I contacted him and he promised that all will be fine and I had faith.He send me his herbnal medicines through Courier servcie and i was instructed on how to drink it for three weeks to cure,I followed the instruction given to me and Today am a happy woman again. He cures all kind of diseases like__Brain cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Ovarian cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma,Herpes,,Liver cancer,Throat cancer,
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis.
    Intestinal cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicityBladder cancer,Hiv,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,CVhrones Disease,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,
    Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases,Leukemia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for providing such valuable information and thanks for sharing this Business Promotion technique.

    ReplyDelete